The Miami Marlins were unable to extend their winning streak to eight games on Sunday, losing the series finale 7-3 to the Mariners. They’ll be looking to bounce back Monday night against the Arizona Diamondbacks, a team that struggled offensively earlier in the year.
I’ll cover the usual stuff in this series preview:
- Program, watch, listen
- Probable Pitchers
- Recent compositions
- To monitor
- Poll: How will this series unfold?
Program, watch, listen
Monday, May 2 at 6:40 p.m.
Tuesday, May 3 at 6:40 p.m.
Wednesday May 4 at 12:40 p.m.
- TV broadcast: Bally Sports Florida for Monday and Wednesday games; Bally Sports Sun for Tuesday’s game (Paul Severino and Tommy Hutton)
- Radio broadcast for the 3 matches: 9:40 a.m. WINZ, WAQI 710
Monday: HPR Zac Gallen vs HPR Pablo Lopez
- Gall: 0.60 ERA, 0.67 WHIP, 25.0K%, 21.4 HardContact% in 15.0 IP
- Lopez: 0.39 ERA, 0.73 WHIP, 27.1K%, 20.0 HardContact% in 23.1 IP
Tuesday: HPR Humberto Castellanos vs LHP Trevor Rogers
- Castellanos: 5.79 ERA, 1.50 WHIP, 12.9K%, 27.4 HardContact% in 14.0 IP
- Roger: 5.09 ERA, 1.42 WHIP, 18.4 K%, 17.1 HardContact% in 17.2 IP
Wednesday: LHP Madison Bumgarner vs HPR Elieser Hernandez
- Bumgarner: 1.17 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, 16.0K%, 25.5 HardContact% in 23.0 IP
- Hernandez: 5.75 ERA, 1.33 WHIP, 22.5K%, 22.5 HardContact% in 20.1 IP
Watch out for…
Monday: Old friend Zac Gallen.
- The Marlins traded Zac Gallen for Jazz Chisholm Jr. at the commercial deadline of 2019.
- Gallen has had a disappointing and injury-ridden 2021 season. A stress fracture in his forearm, sprained elbow and hamstrings prevented him from settling down. Finally healthy, Gallen has been impressive in his first three starts this season. He will face his former team and the player he was traded for on Monday.
Tuesday: Can the Marlins hitters take advantage of the Arizona starter?
Humberto Castellanos in 2022: 12.9K% (ranked 187 out of 198 qualified pitchers), 5.9 SwStr% (191/198).
- Castellanos hasn’t been sharp in his five appearances (three starts) this season. His last outing against the Cardinals was particularly bad: 2.0 IP, 5 H, 5 ER, 1 BB, 0 K. Castellanos struggles to get batters to chase pitches out of the zone and rarely induces a swing-and- miss, deleting her strikeout. rate well below the league average. The Marlins have done a good job drawing walks this season (10.2%), but they’re likely to pull off strikes (25.6%).
Wednesday: Brian Anderson heated.
- Anderson career vs. Bumgarner: 3 for 10, 1 double, 1 homer, .442 wOBA, .652 xSLG.
- Anderson enters this series with a five-game hitting streak, including a 445-foot homer in Sunday’s game. We see a new and improved Anderson in 2022. He has been more selective at the plate compared to past seasons, which has resulted in a reduced chase rate and more walks fired. Anderson had success against LHP and he’ll be looking to stay hot with southpaw MadBum on the mound.
May 2-4: How will this series unfold?
Marlins sweep, 3-0
Victory of the Marlins, 2-1
Diamondbacks win, 2-1
Diamondbacks sweep, 3-0
10 voices in total